Our home is the safe heaven for us, but we end up bringing all dirt and germs from outside through our clothes, shoes, bags, phones, and other items of day to day use.
Following are some of the tips to ensure you keep the unwanted guests - various bacteria, viruses and other pathogens - outside your home:
If you have come home after being in risk- environment
- First thing you should do when you enter the house is to wash your hands. Wash hands all over with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds. Hands should also be washed after using the bathroom, being outside or being in contact with the sick person; before eating, and before touching the eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Remove your clothes and put them straight into the washing machine.
- Take a shower.
Regular cleaning of house
- Clean your house every day and when required.
- Mop with Virex II 256 (a Diversey product). Add the product at ½ oz. per gallon of water (1:256)for cleaning. To disinfect, all surfaces must remain wet for 10 minutes.
- The sponges/ mops used to wipe surfaces should be washed with hot water after every use.
- Clean and then disinfect: First, clean the high touch points- door knobs, counter tops, light switches, to remove dust. Then apply a surface-appropriate disinfectant using disinfectant wipes or disinfectant spray.
· Electronic items like remote, laptop, television, phones, etc can be wiped with a disinfectant wipe.
- To sanitize children’s’ items such as non-electric plastic or metal toys, sippers, bottles, dishes etc., wash them properly with disinfectant. Rinse well with warm water and let dry.
- Stuffed toys: If possible, wash the toys in washing machine.If not, wash the toys manually after soaking in hot water for some time, and then let them dry in sun. This will kill the pathogens on their surface.
- Wash kitchen sponges and cleaning cloths regularly with detergent and let them dry in the sun.
- Clean and disinfect handles of refrigerator, microwave, etc regularly.
- If you plan to reuse grocery bags, wash them with detergent and let them dry in the sun.
- Empty the kitchen trash regularly.
- Do not share hand towels or bath towels.
- After using the towel, put it in sun to dry as pathogens stays longer on wet surfaces.
- Clean and disinfect bathroom surfaces and WCs regularly with appropriate disinfecting agent.
- Use gloves if possible, while collecting clothes from all around the house. Any laundry that could have corona virus germs should be handled with disposable gloves. Do not shake the dirty clothing while collecting them as this can spread the pathogens around in the air.
- Wash laundry with hot water and detergent.
- The soap residue, minerals, chemicals and soil can get locked inside your washing machine. Run your washing machine once empty with just hot water and detergent to prevent the growth of germs.
- Change all linen frequently.
- All the accessories like watches, shoes, jewellery, etc should be sanitized with appropriate disinfectant wipes or spray.
- Wipe your steering wheel, dashboard and door handles with disinfectant wipes or sprays.
- Put bags in your trunk, not inside the car.